Tuesday, October 1, 2013

San Diego Beer Review: Manzanita Brewing Witch's Hair




Manzanita Brewing Co.
10151 Prospect Ave.
Santee, CA 92071
www.manzanitabrewing.com

Yep...looong break between posts again. I have been drinking a lot of new stuff lately, but just haven't had the drive to write my thoughts down. I should be posting quite a bit of stuff up in the next few days/weeks. Be on the look out....

Several of the new beers I have had have been by Manzanita Brewing. I have been very impressed with them lately (new brewmaster?) and decided to write my first post on their new fall seasonal that was released today.

Pumpkin Ale
8.8% ABV


Appearance:
Pours a nice clear orangish amber. Small head with light carbonation.

Smell:
SPICY! Nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon. Hint of vanilla and fresh pumpkin. The aroma of Thanksgiving.

Taste:
Mulling spices (think hot spiced cider). Sweet but not too sweet, hints of brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Definite pumpkin flavor on the backend. Slight bitterness. At 8.8% ABV surprisingly no hint of alcohol in the flavor.

Mouthfeel:
Medium body with tons of flavor. Does not overwhelm the palette.

Overall:
A beer that screams Fall/Holidays. Smooth and well balanced, as seems to be the case with most of their beers that I have tried. Could easily drink this on a warm October day or on a cold November night hanging by the fire pit. I look forward to grabbing a couple of these to have at Thanksgiving with my turkey and pumpkin cheese cake.

Note: I got this beer on a pre-release so the label shows 2012, however it is the 2013 vintage.

No comments:

Post a Comment